It happens that in some cases the relationship breaks down and the consequence in terms of separation and divorce can be multifaceted for the whole family. These will comprise the arrangements for your children, the monetary resolution[1] you can be expecting to be given upon divorce and where you have to start divorce proceedings.

As people are capable to shift across borders with better effortlessness, the number of truly international families is growing quickly. Possibly it is no shock that the number of international family lawful disputes is also on the increase[2]. It consequently pays to be equipped in the event that your move abroad does not work out as you had both expected.

Be responsive of jurisdictional matters

There may be an alternative of authority in which divorce procedures can be issued[3]. Within the EU, a member state will be capable to deal with the divorce if the couple are both nationals of that state – or in the case of England and Ireland are addressed there – or either or both of them are dweller there. This may be matter to a least period of residence in some cases.  The issue that is likely to order where the divorce should happen will be the point of financial resolution you can wait for obtaining, and whether there are matters to be determined in relation to the children. It will be necessary to get authority advice in all locations where a divorce could potentially occur, as financial settlements can vary to a great extent.

The position of your assets must be taken into deliberation, together with their liquidity, and thought should to be given to whether the country dealing with the divorce will be capable to productively put into effect its orders overseas. If there is an option between two EU member states, then the court in which the actions are primarily issued will then sort out the procedures. This can go down to the time of day the actions are issued, not just the date.

Think about the children

If you exist in a country with which you have no association, save that your partner happens to be working there or possibly was born there, it is not aberrant or difficult for you to desire to return home if your bond runs into difficulties. If you have children, you may have an irresistible desire to act spontaneously and take the children back to your home country. Nevertheless, in many countries, taking away children from the country where they live with no the permission of the other parent sums to child seizure and is an illegal transgression[4]. Therefore, it is necessary that legal advice is required in the vicinity about the ramifications of removing children without your spouse’s conformity. It is possible that you will need the court’s authorization.

If you and your spouse are to reside in different countries following your partition, issues will have to be concentrated about where and with whom the children will stay, and appropriate arrangements put into place for contact between the children and their ‘non-resident’ parent.


  1. Alimony (Spousal Support) Calculator
  2. Map
  3. International Family Law Governance
  4. International Custody Cases